Monday, February 04, 2008

Super Bowl hangover

Thank God for USA-Mexico on Wednesday night.

After last night's Super Bowl debacle (I'm a hurting Patriots fan right now), I needed something else to look forward to. Anything. Groundhog's Day had already passed. The Anniversary of the Constitution? Just not enough. Sigh. But lo, and behold, USA-Mexico to the rescue, and with that, I can wipe away the tears and suffocate the heartache with a nice little rivalry match in less than 72 hours.

Another Super Bowl-soccer note of my own: these long winter months without MLS or Fox Soccer Channel, GolTV or Galavision has left me to snack on Portuguese Liga and Mexican League soccer on a teasingly semi-regular basis. So with the need for another soccer DVD to add to my collection, I ordered the 2007 MLS Cup DVD. Yes...from one New England failure to another, that me: the sports masochist.

But in all seriousness, I ordered the DVD because it recently dawned on me that I never actually watched the match on TV. Lucky for me, I was actually at RFK for the match, and witnessed the heartbreak in person. But my heart has since healed, and with little other soccer available, I've decided to suck it up and ready myself for ninety minutes of "what could have been", well aware of the fact that my only other viewing options are American Idol, America's Biggest Loser, and Celebrity Rehab (which I'm beginning to warm up to).

In the meantime, I think I've got this RTP soccer schedule figured out as far as match coverage goes. Saturday evenings show two matches, Sunday evenings show one match, and Wednesday nights show Liga Vitalis (second division Portuguese soccer).

Oh, and one last thing: now Tom Brady knows what it's like to be Taylor Twellman in a championship match...

No comments: