Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Supplementary Non-Revolution Related Banter

In a startling development, I must inform you that I lied to you, the reader, by ending my last entry stating that my next entry would be Revolution-related. Well, it isn't. I offer my most insincere apologies because 1. it's my blog, and I can do whatever I want. I am the editor in chief, head writer, and lead contributor and the editor in chief persona runs a loose ship around here, and 2. to clear up some confusion you may experience while reading this blog. Semantics, if you will.

Let me tell you that in light of recent soccer-themed film viewing, which include "Goal! The Dream Begins" (liked it alot), and "Miracle Match" (wanted to like it more than I did), I have been constantly tripping over myself when referring to the World's Game. I find myself sometimes calling it "football", and other times calling it "soccer." Obviously, "football" makes the most sense, but I must admit I get confused glares when I talk about the football being played in Europe, and it has nothing to do with NFL Europe.

I first stumbled upon the multiple references during the World Cup, when I constantly remarked how great a "football match" was being played while watching USA-Italy during pool play. When I think of the word "soccer", I think of the game being played among boys and girls at recreational parks and fields where the parents coach, the goalposts are net-less (as they are here in the fine municipality that is East Providence), and clutter of kids surrounding the ball always brings out a small chuckle in me. When I think of "football", I think of European league action, Man United, Chelsea, Benfica, Real Madrid, Newcastle United, etc. Grittiness, ruthless tackles, banana-arched crosses, crisp passes and cannon shots on goal. In a weird, nonsensical way, "soccer" is played here in the States, while "football" is played overseas and in other countries.

On the same tangent, you may have found that I sometimes refer to the contests as "matches" and "games". The same reasoning applies. I think of a game like baseball, basketball and football, and since these contests are coined "games", I say "soccer game" out of pure habit. I'm trying to create the appearance that I am indeed a soccer/football fan by saying "match" rather than "game." No, I'm not trying to be phony, but rather, simply educated on this great sport. And while I traverse between the two, I offer my apologies if you happen to care about those kinds of things. And by the same token, I use both "field" and "pitch." I want to call the grassy area where the match is played a "pitch" all the time, but out of habit, sometimes refer to the pitch as the "field."

Semantics, semantics.

No comments: