Monday, August 02, 2010

Bringing back another title to Beantown

(Photo: Boston Aztec facebook page)

What if I told you that the best women's team in Boston wasn't the Breakers? That it would take a combined three hours of soccer within two days amid the toasty Texas heat to claim a championship? That an original Boston Breaker would reclaim glory in the WPSL? What if I told you that it was possible to claim a championship in virtual anonymity?

(*OK, I totally hijacked that introduction from ESPN's "30 for 30" series, which introduces its subjects by asking contrarian questions beginning with, "What if I told you...")

Sunday night, I got a text from my buddy Sean Donahue at Soccer New England telling me about Boston Aztec's WPSL Championship victory down in Texas that day. And I am embarrassed to say that not only had I not known that, but that my knowledge of the team was scant at best as well.

After some much-needed googling on the subject, I learned that the Aztec were founded five years ago and last season becamse the reserve team of the Breakers. You may have heard of a few former Aztec players: Chioma Igwe, Liz Bogus, and Jordan Angeli have both contributed to the Breakers success this season.

Oh, and then there's Rebekah Splaine,* a one-time developmental player for the Breakers (WUSA edition) back in 2003 who also happens to be the Community Relations Director for the Boston Celtics. And I thought I loved sports.

(*Am I the only one that thinks Splaine may deserve a post all to her own? No? OK, good. I'll do it, then.)

So, while I get caught up on the everything Aztec, I just wanted to give them a shout out, and congratulate them on their success. Good job, ladies!

No comments: