Monday, October 27, 2008

Joseph, Revolution issue statements on post-game comments

From the New England Revolution Communications Department:

STATEMENT FROM NEW ENGLAND REVOLUTION MIDFIELDER SHALRIE JOSEPH

"I want to apologize for my comments after our game on Saturday night against Kansas City. I was still caught up in the heat of the match. I regret implying that we were looking for payback. I know my comments don’t reflect the feelings of my teammates or the club."



STATEMENT FROM THE NEW ENGLAND REVOLUTION

“We apologize for Shalrie Joseph’s comments following our match on Saturday night. There was no concerted effort to single out any player on Kansas City’s squad. We would never condone such behavior or actions.”


******

I posted this because it was pertinent to my previous post, and wanted Shalrie's explanation to be heard here.

To be frank about Shalrie being frank Saturday night: I wasn't shocked at all to hear what he had to say. It was a brutally honest assessment of how much this team cares about each other, regardless of good (or bad) it makes them look.

From a corporate, pencil-pushing perspective, I understand that such comments are certainly out of line. I can appreciate that. But from a journalistic perspective, kudos to Shalrie for saying exactly what was on his mind, rather than the same recycled cliches that reporters often find themselves drowning in before and after matches.

No comments: